Saturday, May 17, 2014

MYST #5: Silver Linings Playbook

This film was a huge name at the Oscars in 2013, and like with most Oscar winning films, I had never even seen the trailer until this week. Because it showed up on demand, I decided to give the film a try. I was already a fan of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, so I began the film expecting great things.

The film follows Cooper's character, Pat, starting from the day he is released from a mental hospital after an eight month stay. Struggling with bi-polar disorder, Pat is often painfully straightforward with other characters, including his therapist and his parol officer. Previously married, he cannot adjust to his new life living in his parents' house, and decides he must work to earn his ex-wife's attention and ultimately win her back.

Along the way he meets Jennifer Lawrence's widowed character, who is also struggling with depression and is in recovery. They clash, even as they cooperate in an effort to both benefit from doing a dance competition. Cooper's character has a newfound optimism in which he believes every situation has a silver lining. Additionally, his unemployed father is a bookie and a huge Eagles fan, hence the name, Silver Linings Playbook.


I believe the secret to this films success was largely the acting and natural conflicting personalities in the film. Cooper's character felt extremely real. Truly angry when upset, and truly sad when confused, his character  felt like he belonged in a fist fight on the street, not dancing with Jennifer Lawrence. Lawrence, on the other hand, seemed like she was truly emotionally unstable. Hanging on every word for hidden meaning and ready to scream at Copper, the characters conflicted beautifully. Truthful even in its pain, they understood and each other and fought constantly. Robert De Niro, Cooper's character's father, played an OCD gambling addict, who like Cooper, was always too honest. They made for a sickeningly real combination of feelings and motives, which Doug admits to having made him cry.


The camerawork in the film was simple, which was exactly what it needed to be. Eye level and often shaking, the camera communicated emotion through the speed of its movements and the rapidity of its shakes. The viewer often sees the back of Cooper's head as he interacts with others. This creates discomfort, often setting the stage for an interesting interaction. Ultimately, the actors preformed and the camera captured it from a straightforward perspective. The lighting in the film was often natural, and like the shots only grew significant as emotions did. 

Ultimately, this film grabbed my attention from the first scene and didn't let go. I was consumed by the film and rarely felt I had the chance to stop and analyze what was being done artistically, and why. The film was unbelievably captivating, and as a result I may have missed noting key elements which I should have noted. The film was a real experience from start to finish.

Upon research, I discovered that the only Oscar actually won by the film was Best Actress (Lawrence). Its seven other nominations were all deserved in my opinion. All of the nominations were mostly related to plot and acting, which I believe is reflected in my interpretations above. 

This movie earns 5/5 Philly cheese steaks








7 comments:

  1. Hey pat nice review! I haven't seen this movie yet but it seems like one I should definitely watch sometime soon. I am not usually the biggest fan of chick-flicks but I am happy to hear that this film avoids the cliche of the genre and goes deeper. I am also a big fan of both of these actors and I am glad they put in strong performances as usual. I also liked how you focused on the camerawork, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick, nice review. This is one of my favorite movies and have seen it multiple times. I thought that everyone in this film gives an amazing performance. Also, the soundtrack for the film is really good. The biggest strength of this film I thought was the script. I love Bradley Cooper's character, who is so blatant and open, as it made me laugh often and also made him seem so real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I really enjoyed the movie and the acting was just brilliant. The characters seemed like they would be the last people to like each other but they fit together just so well. I agree that the simplicity in the camera work was perfect and honestly I felt that it deserved more oscars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good review! I've seen this movie, and your spot on about everything! So true about seeing the back of Bradley Cooper's head creating a discomforting feeling! and the shakiness of the camera too! really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review, Patrick! I also liked Silver Linings Playbook, though for me, it was an extremely overhyped movie. I remember when it first came out, all people would rave about was how great the movie was, but upon seeing it, I wasn't overly impressed nor disappointed at all. I thought the best performance, like you mentioned, was Jennifer Lawrence's. I think she really went for her character and it brought amazing results (an Oscar, no less). Anyway, great job again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really interesting review! I didn't know a lot about this movie before reading your post, and it sounds intriguing and complex. The characters sound developed and complex as well. I'm a fan of Jennifer Lawrence and I'm glad she won for Best Actress because it sounds like she deserved it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Job Pat. This was a great review. I had never heard of this movie but I know Bradley Cooper is a great actor. Looks like a good movie and I like how you talk about Jennifer Lawrence acting and it seems she was very good. Just feel this isnt for me so I will not watch it. Great Job

    ReplyDelete